Friday 23 November 2012

A Passionless People?

I am somewhat gobsmacked by a report that claims that 64% of Singaporeans don't feel positive or negative emotions on a daily basis.

"Singapore is the most emotionless society in the world, according to a new Gallup poll, beating the traditionally po-faced Georgia, Lithuania and Russia in a survey of more than 150 nations" states the article.

Clearly the writer has not had a recent conversation with the locals about "foreigners" who fail to observe local customs and courtesies, nor the relative merits of chicken rice at recommended eateries.  Such topics tend to raise the temperature both literally and figuratively.

The counter balance in Asia is the Philippines which apparently is the world's most emotional society.  Having seen the excesses of the Marcos shoe collection I can well believe it!  Not that the collection is much of a national treasure these days as it has molded away due to neglect.


Mind you, just look at the questions: Did you feel well rested yesterday?
My answer would probably have been: Yesterday has come and gone - I deal with today.  Well rested; well I was on a packed MRT coming into work after two bus trips to get the station, what do you think?

But does this response make me less emotional than my fellow passengers - I don't think so.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: